Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Gym Memberships in Socialist Countries

Well I learn something new about this country everyday. A few days ago in the mail I got a letter from Passage Fitness First...my overpriced health club...and it was all in French. Of course I didn't think it meant anything but in the event that it did, I asked the resident Belgian, Max, who lives upstairs, what it said. He read it and said it was mostly nothing until the last paragraph or so where it mentioned that following my 3 month membership that I signed up for, my membership would automatically be continued for an additional 3 months unless I wrote them a letter requesting that it be cancelled and the reason for canceling! How convenient! :)

Well Max said just to go to the gym and tell them in person. I did so and was told it has to be done in writing. I guess it makes sense but even more convenient! I asked if I could do it in English but after realizing she hardly understood what I was saying...I just decided to have Max help me with the letter in French. So last night I got the letter written and will mail it off today. I tried to make it very explicit why I would not be continuing my membership (end of my VISA, internship, not a Belgian citizen, etc.). Anyway, you learn a little more everyday about the joys of socialism and really begin to love our dear capitalist country. Aaaahhh yes, capitalism....Isn't it beautiful??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home